Since its early days, the Festival has invited international emerging musicians to perform on its free stages. Jazz in Motion reflects our philosophy of jazz as a constantly evolving and enriching style with a variety of influences. This programme is in line with the Talent Awards by promoting 6 groups that are representative of today’s jazz and the plural forms it takes and that we claim. Our programming committee and a committee composed of artists select 6 groups chosen on the basis of various criteria (musical mastery, quality of the pieces, originality). They are then invited to perform during the Montreux Jazz Festival, during which this 2-day programme takes place. In addition to the important springboard that a performance at the MJF represents, the 6 groups benefit from meetings with music industry professionals in order to obtain advice and constructive feedback. We will also give them a professional video of their performance, with 3 songs of their choice. In this way, all artists will be supported equally (unlike the Talent Awards which rewarded 2 winners, one solo and one band) and will leave with a useful promotional tool to find new engagements.
JAZZ IN MOTION
During the two-day Jazz in Motion programme, we introduced the public to promising musicians who represent the different variations of rhythm’n’blues and jazz today. Ten artists shortlisted by our programming committee were submitted to the artistic committee, consisting of Terri-Lyne Carrington, Michael League and José James. Together they selected six artists who were invited to perform during the first weekend of the Festival. We presented the musical universe of Sam Dotia, The KTNA, LDNFK, Ron Minis, Shunaji and Summer Pearl.
TALENT AWARDS 2021
While the pandemic still prevented many artists from traveling in July 2021, we chose to invite less artists to participate in the Talent Awards program. Nevertheless, we kept an international representation of the emerging music scene. Therefore, 8 bands or solo artists performed during the Montreux Jazz Festival. The public could discover the musical universe of: Mimon (CF/ DE/ AU) 03.07, Klein (LU) 04.07, Meskerem Mees (BE) 08.07, Linda Vogel (CH) 09.07, Beharie (NO) 10.07, Cosma Joy (UK) 15.07, Emile Londonien (FR) 16.07 and May the Muse (DE/ US) 17.07.
MONTREUX JAZZ TALENT AWARDS 2021
TALENT AWARDS 2019
In 2019, the 16 bands or solo artists selected to perform during the Talent Awards were the following ones:
Madison McFerrin , Afra Kane, Gjon’s Tears, Festen, Giulia Dabalà, Notilus, Brekky Boy, Trio Mezcal, Run Logan Run, Robocobra 4tet, Baris Demirel – Baristik Mi, Gwen et Tiana, Ariwo, Atna, Arthur Hnatek, Luciano Supervielle.
The members of the Talent Awards have been evaluated by an artistic committee bringing together Carl Craig, Chilly Gonzales, Stanley Clark et Chucho Valdès.
montreux jazz talent awards 2019
TALENT AWARDS 2018
In 2018, the 16 bands or artists solo selected to perform during the Talent Awards were the following ones:
MTMBO, Koqa Beatbox, Building Intrument, Julie Campiche, Islandman, Vels Trio, Noiserv, Emma-Jean Thackray, Nik West, Opal Ocean, Ork, Jalen N’Gonda, MercuryCarter, Jean-Michel Blais, Luciano Supervielle, HØJDE.
The members of the Talent Awards have been evaluated by an artistic committee bringing together Aloe Blacc, Richard Bona, Derrick Hodge and Bugge Wesseltoft.
Montreux jazz talent awards 2018
MONTREUX JAZZ COMPETITIONS
For more than 15 years, three competitions have taken place during the Montreux Jazz Festival: the Solo Piano Competition, the Voice Competition and the Guitar Competition.
Established one year after the fall of the Berlin Wall, their main aim was to encourage talented artists from Eastern Europe to participate and to reveal them in Montreux.
Quickly recognized in the music world, the competitions have always aroused great interest among young musicians whose applications came from all over the world. Every year, talents from various cultural backgrounds, many of them attending top music schools, came to Montreux to take advantage of this internationally renowned springboard.
After observing a paradigm shift in the music industry, we redefined the profile of the selected musicians and the format of the competitions to better fit with the rules of the music business.
The three Montreux Jazz Festival Competitions have revealed many talents. Several of them have been invited to take part in prestigious projects :
- Pedro Martins (Brazil), winner of the 2015 Guitar Competition. He was chosen by the president of the jury Kurt Rosenwinkel. Following their meeting, the American guitarist and composer produced his album Vox.
- Tigran Hamasyan (Armenia), winner of the 2003 Solo Piano Competition. He is making an international career. He was chosen by the Armenian government to be the official composer and conductor of the Yerevan State Choir during a world tour commemorating the genocide (2015). The prestigious ECM label recorded this project and broadcast it (2014).
- Leandro Pellegrino (Brazil), winner of the 2013 Guitar Competition. He was chosen to record Dianne Reaves’ album, Beautiful Life, alongside Terri Lyne Carrington, Gregory Porter and Richard Bona. This album received a Grammy in the category “Best jazz vocal album” in 2014.
- Piotr Orzechowski (Poland), winner of the 2011 Solo Piano Competition. He plays classical repertoire with the Polish National Radio Orchestra. He also collaborates in contemporary music with Philip Glass and Steve Reich and plays alongside jazzmen such as Randy Brecker and Avishai Cohen.
- Isfar Sarabski (Azerbaijan), winner (1st prize ex aequo) of the 2009 Solo Piano Competition. He is a member of Dhaffer Youssef’s group. He also plays in a trio that bears his name.
- Beka Gochiashvili (Georgia), winner (1st prize ex aequo) of 2009 Solo Piano Competition. He is part of Stanley Clarke’s band.
- Diego Figueiredo (Brazil), winner of the 2007 Guitar Competition. He was George Benson’s favorite, president of the jury. Benson said: “Diego Figueiredo is one of the greatest guitarists I’ve seen in my whole life. The world needs to listen to his music.”
- Alfredo Rodriguez (Cuba), Solo Piano Competition 2006, is one of the musicians whose career is managed by Quincy Jones.